[ANNOUNCE] wayland 1.10.91
Bryce Harrington
2016-05-04 07:55:16 UTC
Here's the alpha for the upcoming 1.11 release. I'll summarize the
major features for this release in the beta announcement, but see below
for the detailed listing.

The schedule going forward is:

√ 1.11-alpha on May 3rd. Major features done by this point.

- 1.11-beta around May 17th.

- 1.11-rc1 around May 24th.

- 1.11.0 release around May 31st.

At this time consider Wayland in feature freeze mode. We'll continue to
land minor enhancements through beta, and focus on bug fixes thereafter.

Changes:
--------

Auke Booij (1):
protocol: add support for cross-interface enum attributes

Bill Spitzak (1):
doc: Use enum argument type to make links in protocol documentation

Bryce Harrington (3):
configure.ac: bump to version 1.10.90 for open development
doc: Note strong recommendation to use S-o-b in contributions
configure.ac: bump to version 1.10.91 for the alpha release

Derek Foreman (9):
resource-test: Use wl_seat instead of wl_display for testing
server: validate resource versions at creation time
build: Add an --enable-fatal-warnings configure option
build: build distcheck with --enable-fatal-warnings
Revert "build: build distcheck with --enable-fatal-warnings"
Revert "server: validate resource versions at creation time"
shm: Split pool reference counting into external and internal references
shm: Defer wl_shm_pool_resize if a pool has external references
shm: Log a warning if a shm buffer address is requested when it may be invalid

Emil Velikov (3):
scanner: move include directives before extern "C" wrapper
server: move include directives before extern "C" wrapper
utils: move include directives before extern "C" wrapper

Eric Engestrom (7):
protocol: fix spelling mistake
wayland-client: fix spelling mistake
client: fix typo
server: fix typo
util: fix typo
doc: fix typos
tests: fix typo

Jonas Ådahl (5):
client: Don't segfault when receiving error on destroyed object
client: Make proxy_destroy a static function
client: Introduce proxy wrappers
tests/queue-test: Add tests for proxy wrappers
client: Fix wl_display_roundtrip_queue() race condition

Marek Chalupa (2):
tests: add test for receiving an error on destroyed object
connection: remove redundant assignment

Pekka Paalanen (2):
build: fix ./configure --disable-dtd-validation
scanner: avoid executable stack

Peter Hutterer (2):
doc: generate doxygen html output from the scanner
doc: link between client and server doc and to the wayland book

Sergi Granell (1):
server: Fix shm_create_pool size fail path fd leak

Yong Bakos (7):
doc: Ignore html subdirectory.
ignore: Add *.dtd.embed
scanner: Fix spacing of @param
protocol: Correct grammar and spelling
doc: Hyphenate compound adjectives window-local, surface-local
protocol: Hyphenate compound adjective surface-local
protocol: Add summaries to event parameters

git tag: 1.10.91
http://wayland.freedesktop.org/releases/wayland-1.10.91.tar.xz
MD5: 5a34f0b2dde3512bfd0c9b2a2af9034d wayland-1.10.91.tar.xz
SHA1: 32568737ab49a5ee3bafcd5b7d002094875e0feb wayland-1.10.91.tar.xz
SHA256: cb40de85488eb138e0f25b86b161c880c8115e07b7a89ec24c8cc99d02b4ca31 wayland-1.10.91.tar.xz
PGP: http://wayland.freedesktop.org/releases/wayland-1.10.91.tar.xz.sig
Bryce Harrington
2016-05-04 18:46:23 UTC
Post by Bryce Harrington
Here's the alpha for the upcoming 1.11 release. I'll summarize the
major features for this release in the beta announcement, but see below
for the detailed listing.
√ 1.11-alpha on May 3rd. Major features done by this point.
- 1.11-beta around May 17th.
- 1.11-rc1 around May 24th.
- 1.11.0 release around May 31st.
At this time consider Wayland in feature freeze mode. We'll continue to
land minor enhancements through beta, and focus on bug fixes thereafter.
Do we need to up the version requirements for weston's libwayland client
or server dependency, or the version of wayland-protocol?

In both cases, it looked to me that no, Weston doesn't depend on any of
the recent changes. We currently depend on wayland-protocols 1.2, and
the changes for 1.3 are primarily tablet protocol, support of which
doesn't sound like landable for Weston at this point. Post 1.3 w-p
changes of note are the presentation-time protocol, which I'm not
certain of.

Weston currently depends on wayland-server 1.10 and wayland-client
1.5.91. I could just bump the server version just to be safe, but
offhand I'm not recalling if we did introduce any changes this cycle
that actually requires it? As to the client dependency, I've never been
clear on when that should be bumped, or if what the implications on
clients would be if we did; I'd love some advice/clarification on that
for future reference if nothing else.

Other than that, I've been assuming that if there are any other
build-dependency changes, they'd have been patched directly. But it
would be great at this point to do fresh builds/installs on whatever
hardware variations are at hand just to doublecheck, and get patches in
for fixes. I'll make a priority to review those.

Bryce
--------
Pekka Paalanen
2016-05-06 11:17:23 UTC
Bryce Harrington
2016-05-11 19:11:50 UTC
Post by Pekka Paalanen
On Wed, 4 May 2016 11:46:23 -0700
Post by Bryce Harrington
Post by Bryce Harrington
Here's the alpha for the upcoming 1.11 release. I'll summarize the
major features for this release in the beta announcement, but see below
for the detailed listing.
√ 1.11-alpha on May 3rd. Major features done by this point.
It looks like someone (pq?) has marked some patches we decided to leave
for post-1.11 as deferred in patchwork. I've followed suit and moved
other patchsets there which are new APIs or that sound like feature
work.

Following are what remains. Most of these I think should be deferred
but am not 100% certain, so would appreciate hearing other people's
thoughts:

1. Detect keyboard capabilities, refactor seat capability [Derek]
- Awaiting review by jadahl
- Over a year old now, probably needs rebased too...

2. xdg_popup behavior of input devices [Carlos]
- Protocol additions for xdg-shell, needs review by xdg devels
- Been in the queue a long time, but no reviews to date
- No idea about disposition for this

3. xwayland drag-and-drop window creation [Carlos]
- Looks ok to be but xwayland isn't my area
- Been in the queue a long time, but no reviews to date
- From the commit description sounds WIP-ish and that there was
planned some followup work, but not sure if that happened?

4. Pointer locking (3 patches) [Jonas]
- Was planned to land this feature for 1.11
- Reviewers requested changes, but I'm not spotting a v2 for this
- At a minimum needs updated for trunk, since the protocol files are
now in wayland-protocols
- I'll mark it 'Changes Requested' and hope it will return for
consideration for 1.12.

5. V2 for text input protocol [Jan Arne]
- This is intended for wayland-protocols so not really pertinent to
the release. But is on v6 and hasn't received further reviews,
perhaps it's time to land it?

6. FreeRDP fixes (6 patches) [David]
- Build fixes are suitable for landing now, so I consider at least
the first 3 patches here good candidates for including in 1.11
- No R-b's other than my own; I'd be more comfortable landing if we
had another set of R-b's on this.

7. compositor-drm clone mode + fixes (8 patches) [Emmanuel]
- The fixes look straightforward and probably ok to land
- I haven't reviewed the clone mode feature, but offhand judging by
the length of the patch it looks like post-1.11 stuff.

8. get_subsurface double-buffered protocol [pq]
- Is getting strong reviews, but also requests for tests &tc.
- There is debate on its thread as to whether to land vs. leave for
1.12

9. Don't set_fullscreen on already fullscreen surfaces [Emmanuel]
- Short fix, might be worth including in 1.11
- Needs another R-b or two, but may be an easy thing to land

10. compositor fixes (2 patches) [pq]
11. eventdemo fixes (3 patches) [pq]
- These sound landable for 1.11 offhand, but I haven't reviewed.
- Needs R-b's

12. ivi_layout_surface API
- Straightforward patch, looks fine to me
- Not sure about landing new API during feature freeze though
- Needs R-b's
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Bryce Harrington
Post by Bryce Harrington
- 1.11-beta around May 17th.
- 1.11-rc1 around May 24th.
- 1.11.0 release around May 31st.
At this time consider Wayland in feature freeze mode. We'll continue to
land minor enhancements through beta, and focus on bug fixes thereafter.
Do we need to up the version requirements for weston's libwayland client
or server dependency, or the version of wayland-protocol?
Hi Bryce,
Wayland-protocol deps should all be dealt with as they happen. I
believe we have the policy to land changes in wayland-protocols first
and have a w-p release, and then land weston patches depending on them,
bumping the dependency on configure.ac at the same time. That's what
I've been doing anyway.
Yeah I know that's the policy, but I figure I need to not blindly trust
that and do a doublecheck.
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Unfortunately, we cannot do the same with libwayland since it would add
considerable delay in landing such weston patches.
Post by Bryce Harrington
In both cases, it looked to me that no, Weston doesn't depend on any of
the recent changes. We currently depend on wayland-protocols 1.2, and
the changes for 1.3 are primarily tablet protocol, support of which
doesn't sound like landable for Weston at this point. Post 1.3 w-p
changes of note are the presentation-time protocol, which I'm not
certain of.
None of the presentation-time changes after 1.2 and 1.3 change any
semantics, so no bump needed for them.
Thanks for confirming
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Bryce Harrington
Weston currently depends on wayland-server 1.10 and wayland-client
1.5.91. I could just bump the server version just to be safe, but
offhand I'm not recalling if we did introduce any changes this cycle
that actually requires it? As to the client dependency, I've never been
clear on when that should be bumped, or if what the implications on
clients would be if we did; I'd love some advice/clarification on that
for future reference if nothing else.
I looked through libwayland changes post-1.10 release, and the only ABI
change is the addition of the proxy wrappers, which is not used in
Weston. ABI additions are easy to spot by looking for changes to the
headers. It's unlikely to have other kind of changes, except perhaps
scanner.c generated code.
Thanks for confirming that too.
Post by Pekka Paalanen
To keep things simpler, I would suggest we keep the all of
libweston-server, -client, and -cursor dependencies at the same number
in Weston. I'm not sure you even can build things from Weston without
both -server and -client. If you use both, they surely are the same
version.
Great, I'll make those changes.

What I'd like to do is move the version number requirement up to the top
of the file next to the version number since for releases both are going
to be changed at the same time.
Post by Pekka Paalanen
The client dependency may have been forgotten, and the server
dependency will hide any issues it might have.
Of course, whenever anyone sends a Weston patch that needs something
new from libwayland, the commit message should say so. Maybe we could
add a XXX comment in configure.ac also, like my weston patches do for
wayland-protocols before there is a wayland-protocols release?
Yes sounds good.
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Bryce Harrington
Other than that, I've been assuming that if there are any other
build-dependency changes, they'd have been patched directly. But it
would be great at this point to do fresh builds/installs on whatever
hardware variations are at hand just to doublecheck, and get patches in
for fixes. I'll make a priority to review those.
Indeed.
Bryce
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Thanks,
pq
Post by Bryce Harrington
--------
Yong Bakos
2016-05-11 19:32:06 UTC
Post by Bryce Harrington
Post by Pekka Paalanen
On Wed, 4 May 2016 11:46:23 -0700
Post by Bryce Harrington
Post by Bryce Harrington
Here's the alpha for the upcoming 1.11 release. I'll summarize the
major features for this release in the beta announcement, but see below
for the detailed listing.
√ 1.11-alpha on May 3rd. Major features done by this point.
It looks like someone (pq?) has marked some patches we decided to leave
for post-1.11 as deferred in patchwork. I've followed suit and moved
other patchsets there which are new APIs or that sound like feature
work.
Following are what remains. Most of these I think should be deferred
but am not 100% certain, so would appreciate hearing other people's
Hi Bryce,
I have on my list to review #5 below (text input protocol), and I should
have that done today (May 11). Or I can submit patches after it's merged.

yong
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Bryce Harrington
Other than that, I've been assuming that if there are any other
build-dependency changes, they'd have been patched directly. But it
would be great at this point to do fresh builds/installs on whatever
hardware variations are at hand just to doublecheck, and get patches in
for fixes. I'll make a priority to review those.
Indeed.
Bryce
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Thanks,
pq
Post by Bryce Harrington
--------
Yong Bakos
2016-05-11 22:32:37 UTC
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Bryce Harrington
Post by Pekka Paalanen
On Wed, 4 May 2016 11:46:23 -0700
Post by Bryce Harrington
Post by Bryce Harrington
Here's the alpha for the upcoming 1.11 release. I'll summarize the
major features for this release in the beta announcement, but see below
for the detailed listing.
√ 1.11-alpha on May 3rd. Major features done by this point.
It looks like someone (pq?) has marked some patches we decided to leave
for post-1.11 as deferred in patchwork. I've followed suit and moved
other patchsets there which are new APIs or that sound like feature
work.
Following are what remains. Most of these I think should be deferred
but am not 100% certain, so would appreciate hearing other people's
Hi Bryce,
I have on my list to review #5 below (text input protocol), and I should
have that done today (May 11). Or I can submit patches after it's merged.
yong
Actually, I did review #5 (v2 for text input protocol), but at the time
I had to manually re-construct the reply as I was receiving mailing list
digests at the time... so Patchwork didn't associate my response.

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2016-April/027922.html

The things I pointed out weren't fixed, but they were all writing corrections,
which I can submit after a merge.

yong
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Bryce Harrington
Other than that, I've been assuming that if there are any other
build-dependency changes, they'd have been patched directly. But it
would be great at this point to do fresh builds/installs on whatever
hardware variations are at hand just to doublecheck, and get patches in
for fixes. I'll make a priority to review those.
Indeed.
Bryce
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Thanks,
pq
Post by Bryce Harrington
--------
Bryce Harrington
2016-05-12 20:29:30 UTC
Post by Yong Bakos
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Bryce Harrington
Post by Pekka Paalanen
On Wed, 4 May 2016 11:46:23 -0700
Post by Bryce Harrington
Post by Bryce Harrington
[...]
Thanks for reviewing it. The patch is against wayland-protocols, whose
release schedule isn't sync'd with the wayland/weston schedule, so
there's no impact if this patch needs more time.

Bryce
Post by Yong Bakos
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Bryce Harrington
Other than that, I've been assuming that if there are any other
build-dependency changes, they'd have been patched directly. But it
would be great at this point to do fresh builds/installs on whatever
hardware variations are at hand just to doublecheck, and get patches in
for fixes. I'll make a priority to review those.
Indeed.
Bryce
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Thanks,
pq
Post by Bryce Harrington
--------
Jonas Ådahl
2016-05-12 02:38:56 UTC
Post by Bryce Harrington
Post by Pekka Paalanen
On Wed, 4 May 2016 11:46:23 -0700
Post by Bryce Harrington
Here's the alpha for the upcoming 1.11 release. I'll summarize the
major features for this release in the beta announcement, but see below
for the detailed listing.
√ 1.11-alpha on May 3rd. Major features done by this point.
It looks like someone (pq?) has marked some patches we decided to leave
for post-1.11 as deferred in patchwork. I've followed suit and moved
other patchsets there which are new APIs or that sound like feature
work.
Following are what remains. Most of these I think should be deferred
but am not 100% certain, so would appreciate hearing other people's
1. Detect keyboard capabilities, refactor seat capability [Derek]
- Awaiting review by jadahl
- Over a year old now, probably needs rebased too...
I have completely forgotten about this one, sorry about that. I could
take it upon me to review this if its valuable for 1.11, but as far as I
remember I was not very happy about the internal API changes.
Post by Bryce Harrington
2. xdg_popup behavior of input devices [Carlos]
- Protocol additions for xdg-shell, needs review by xdg devels
- Been in the queue a long time, but no reviews to date
- No idea about disposition for this
Any changes to xdg_shell should target the v6, it needs to be rebased.
Might be something good to revisit before finalizing a v6.
Post by Bryce Harrington
3. xwayland drag-and-drop window creation [Carlos]
- Looks ok to be but xwayland isn't my area
- Been in the queue a long time, but no reviews to date
- From the commit description sounds WIP-ish and that there was
planned some followup work, but not sure if that happened?
This one can have my Acked-by for 1.11 since it avoids crashing weston.
As far as I can tell, wayland<->xwayland dnd is currently broken either
way, and hopefully Carlos can have a look for 1.12.
Post by Bryce Harrington
4. Pointer locking (3 patches) [Jonas]
- Was planned to land this feature for 1.11
- Reviewers requested changes, but I'm not spotting a v2 for this
- At a minimum needs updated for trunk, since the protocol files are
now in wayland-protocols
- I'll mark it 'Changes Requested' and hope it will return for
consideration for 1.12.
I won't work on these for 1.11.
Post by Bryce Harrington
5. V2 for text input protocol [Jan Arne]
- This is intended for wayland-protocols so not really pertinent to
the release. But is on v6 and hasn't received further reviews,
perhaps it's time to land it?
There has been some disagreements on various parts being out-of-scope
for said protocol. I think we need to discuss this one further before
landing.
Post by Bryce Harrington
6. FreeRDP fixes (6 patches) [David]
- Build fixes are suitable for landing now, so I consider at least
the first 3 patches here good candidates for including in 1.11
- No R-b's other than my own; I'd be more comfortable landing if we
had another set of R-b's on this.
7. compositor-drm clone mode + fixes (8 patches) [Emmanuel]
- The fixes look straightforward and probably ok to land
- I haven't reviewed the clone mode feature, but offhand judging by
the length of the patch it looks like post-1.11 stuff.
8. get_subsurface double-buffered protocol [pq]
- Is getting strong reviews, but also requests for tests &tc.
- There is debate on its thread as to whether to land vs. leave for
1.12
We are waiting with this one until 1.12.
Post by Bryce Harrington
9. Don't set_fullscreen on already fullscreen surfaces [Emmanuel]
- Short fix, might be worth including in 1.11
- Needs another R-b or two, but may be an easy thing to land
10. compositor fixes (2 patches) [pq]
11. eventdemo fixes (3 patches) [pq]
- These sound landable for 1.11 offhand, but I haven't reviewed.
- Needs R-b's
12. ivi_layout_surface API
- Straightforward patch, looks fine to me
- Not sure about landing new API during feature freeze though
- Needs R-b's
For the ones I didn't comment on, I have no input right now.

Jonas
Pekka Paalanen
2016-05-12 08:20:46 UTC
On Thu, 12 May 2016 10:38:56 +0800
Post by Jonas Ådahl
Post by Bryce Harrington
Post by Pekka Paalanen
On Wed, 4 May 2016 11:46:23 -0700
Post by Bryce Harrington
Here's the alpha for the upcoming 1.11 release. I'll summarize the
major features for this release in the beta announcement, but see below
for the detailed listing.
√ 1.11-alpha on May 3rd. Major features done by this point.
It looks like someone (pq?) has marked some patches we decided to leave
for post-1.11 as deferred in patchwork. I've followed suit and moved
other patchsets there which are new APIs or that sound like feature
work.
Following are what remains. Most of these I think should be deferred
but am not 100% certain, so would appreciate hearing other people's
8. get_subsurface double-buffered protocol [pq]
- Is getting strong reviews, but also requests for tests &tc.
- There is debate on its thread as to whether to land vs. leave for
1.12
We are waiting with this one until 1.12.
At least if I don't post the weston patches for it and get them
reviewed before beta. It will be tight, but I try.
Post by Jonas Ådahl
Post by Bryce Harrington
10. compositor fixes (2 patches) [pq]
11. eventdemo fixes (3 patches) [pq]
- These sound landable for 1.11 offhand, but I haven't reviewed.
- Needs R-b's
Yup, no need to defer these, IMO.
Post by Jonas Ådahl
Post by Bryce Harrington
12. ivi_layout_surface API
- Straightforward patch, looks fine to me
- Not sure about landing new API during feature freeze though
- Needs R-b's
At least patches 1 and 2 I will be pushing in a moment, they got
reviewed.

Patch 3 should maybe perhaps wait for after 1.11.

Thanks,
pq
Bryce Harrington
2016-05-12 20:04:47 UTC
Post by Pekka Paalanen
On Thu, 12 May 2016 10:38:56 +0800
Post by Jonas Ådahl
Post by Bryce Harrington
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Jonas Ådahl
Post by Bryce Harrington
12. ivi_layout_surface API
- Straightforward patch, looks fine to me
- Not sure about landing new API during feature freeze though
- Needs R-b's
At least patches 1 and 2 I will be pushing in a moment, they got
reviewed.
Patch 3 should maybe perhaps wait for after 1.11.
Alright, I've deferred that one and left the rest on the todo list for
1.11.

Bryce
Bryce Harrington
2016-05-12 20:02:54 UTC
Post by Jonas Ådahl
Post by Bryce Harrington
Post by Pekka Paalanen
On Wed, 4 May 2016 11:46:23 -0700
Post by Bryce Harrington
[...]
I expect the turnaround is too short to make it by beta, but given it's
age I think you should put a priority on giving derek feedback on it in
the coming weeks.

I'll mark it postponed for 1.11 though, since sounds like you have some
doubts that you'll need to debate with derek.
Post by Jonas Ådahl
Post by Bryce Harrington
2. xdg_popup behavior of input devices [Carlos]
- Protocol additions for xdg-shell, needs review by xdg devels
- Been in the queue a long time, but no reviews to date
- No idea about disposition for this
Any changes to xdg_shell should target the v6, it needs to be rebased.
Might be something good to revisit before finalizing a v6.
Sounds good, I'll mark as Changes Requested and send a note to Carlos to
retarget it.
Post by Jonas Ådahl
Post by Bryce Harrington
3. xwayland drag-and-drop window creation [Carlos]
- Looks ok to be but xwayland isn't my area
- Been in the queue a long time, but no reviews to date
- From the commit description sounds WIP-ish and that there was
planned some followup work, but not sure if that happened?
This one can have my Acked-by for 1.11 since it avoids crashing weston.
As far as I can tell, wayland<->xwayland dnd is currently broken either
way, and hopefully Carlos can have a look for 1.12.
Thanks. I'll put this on the todo list for beta.
Post by Jonas Ådahl
Post by Bryce Harrington
4. Pointer locking (3 patches) [Jonas]
- Was planned to land this feature for 1.11
- Reviewers requested changes, but I'm not spotting a v2 for this
- At a minimum needs updated for trunk, since the protocol files are
now in wayland-protocols
- I'll mark it 'Changes Requested' and hope it will return for
consideration for 1.12.
I won't work on these for 1.11.
*Nod*
Post by Jonas Ådahl
Post by Bryce Harrington
5. V2 for text input protocol [Jan Arne]
- This is intended for wayland-protocols so not really pertinent to
the release. But is on v6 and hasn't received further reviews,
perhaps it's time to land it?
There has been some disagreements on various parts being out-of-scope
for said protocol. I think we need to discuss this one further before
landing.
Alright, will leave it as is.
Post by Jonas Ådahl
Post by Bryce Harrington
8. get_subsurface double-buffered protocol [pq]
- Is getting strong reviews, but also requests for tests &tc.
- There is debate on its thread as to whether to land vs. leave for
1.12
We are waiting with this one until 1.12.
Per pq's response I'll leave this one as is for the moment.

Thanks for looking at these,

Bryce
Hardening
2016-05-12 06:32:29 UTC
Post by Bryce Harrington
Post by Pekka Paalanen
On Wed, 4 May 2016 11:46:23 -0700
Post by Bryce Harrington
[...]
Just a note: the last 2 patches fix a bug that has been there for year
with output mode switch. As the RDP compositor is the only one that can
use permanent mode switching, it exposes the bug, but the correction
works for all others.
--
David FORT
website: http://www.hardening-consulting.com/