The road to Wayland/Weston 1.6 and 1.5.1
Pekka Paalanen
2014-08-18 11:35:49 UTC
Hi all,

in the release announcement of 1.5.0[1] it was said that the alpha
release towards 1.6 should come out mid-August. That time is now, so
how about we target Friday, Aug 22nd (European time)?

I know the review process has been lagging behind badly, and we
probably won't see e.g. IVI-shell merged for 1.6, but I try to do what
I can. What major features have been forgotten on the mailing list
unmerged, that you would like to see included in 1.6?

I can't promise anything, and I know at least none of my new features
(Presentation extension, new repaint scheduling algorithm, repaint
timeline logging, DRM universal planes & nuclear pageflip support,
linux_dmabuf protocol sketch, and some smaller things) brewing in my
personal 'next' branch will not make it.

Obviously a stable first version of xdg_shell would be great to see in
1.6, but we shall see if we can beat it into shape in time. When I
reviewed the XML spec not long ago, it was close but not ready in my
opinion.

When xdg_shell does stabilize, we will move xdg_shell.xml into Wayland
repository and it will be installed, but all build-time users of it must
generate their own wrappers with wayland-scanner or equivalent. This
means that libwayland-client will not contain any xdg_shell symbols or
headers pre-generated. I asked Kristian and he was ok with this plan,
and I have also talked a little on #wayland-devel, that maybe this
would be a good idea. If this turns out a bad idea, we can always fix
it later. Doing it the other way around would be near impossible.

Should we make libinput the default for 1.6, so that in 1.7 we can
remove the old input code, or is libinput API still too much in flux?

Also, it was said that 1.5.1 should have come out in "a few weeks" and
it has been 3 months now. I will try and check the patches already in
'master' of both Wayland and Weston and pick them to the 1.5 branches,
but if you know of patches that should be in stable, especially ones
without review or not in 'master', let me know and I try do something.
My selection, especially for Wayland, will probably be very
conservative, though, as my priority is 1.6.

Thanks,
pq

[1]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-May/014955.html
Giulio Camuffo
2014-08-18 11:57:37 UTC
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Hi all,
in the release announcement of 1.5.0[1] it was said that the alpha
release towards 1.6 should come out mid-August. That time is now, so
how about we target Friday, Aug 22nd (European time)?
I know the review process has been lagging behind badly, and we
probably won't see e.g. IVI-shell merged for 1.6, but I try to do what
I can. What major features have been forgotten on the mailing list
unmerged, that you would like to see included in 1.6?
I had these patches which I'd like to see going in:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-December/012589.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-December/012590.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-December/012591.html

I can rebase them on top of current master, if we like them.

--
Giulio
Giulio Camuffo
2014-08-18 11:59:55 UTC
Post by Giulio Camuffo
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Hi all,
in the release announcement of 1.5.0[1] it was said that the alpha
release towards 1.6 should come out mid-August. That time is now, so
how about we target Friday, Aug 22nd (European time)?
I know the review process has been lagging behind badly, and we
probably won't see e.g. IVI-shell merged for 1.6, but I try to do what
I can. What major features have been forgotten on the mailing list
unmerged, that you would like to see included in 1.6?
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-December/012589.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-December/012590.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-December/012591.html
Sorry, i forgot. Discard the last one, as per my reply to it.
Pekka Paalanen
2014-08-18 12:14:04 UTC
On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 14:57:37 +0300
Post by Giulio Camuffo
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Hi all,
in the release announcement of 1.5.0[1] it was said that the alpha
release towards 1.6 should come out mid-August. That time is now, so
how about we target Friday, Aug 22nd (European time)?
I know the review process has been lagging behind badly, and we
probably won't see e.g. IVI-shell merged for 1.6, but I try to do what
I can. What major features have been forgotten on the mailing list
unmerged, that you would like to see included in 1.6?
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-December/012589.html
This one looks pretty simple, and I can confirm the problem with
CapsLock, so yes, I'd like to take this. Could you rebase it?
Post by Giulio Camuffo
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-December/012590.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-December/012591.html
Of these two, the first needs the second to be used at all, right? The
follow-up comment is true, I would not want NumLock be on by default on
my laptop, so I think this needs more work, like you have identified.

Thanks,
pq
Giulio Camuffo
2014-08-18 12:20:38 UTC
Post by Giulio Camuffo
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Hi all,
in the release announcement of 1.5.0[1] it was said that the alpha
release towards 1.6 should come out mid-August. That time is now, so
how about we target Friday, Aug 22nd (European time)?
I know the review process has been lagging behind badly, and we
probably won't see e.g. IVI-shell merged for 1.6, but I try to do what
I can. What major features have been forgotten on the mailing list
unmerged, that you would like to see included in 1.6?
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-December/012589.html
This one looks pretty simple, and I can confirm the problem with
CapsLock, so yes, I'd like to take this. Could you rebase it?
Ok, i'll do that this evening.
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Giulio Camuffo
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-December/012590.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-December/012591.html
Of these two, the first needs the second to be used at all, right? The
follow-up comment is true, I would not want NumLock be on by default on
my laptop, so I think this needs more work, like you have identified.
Well, yeah. The first one just introduces some API of which there are
no users, without the second one.
I think it has value on its own, but anyway i can work on that weston
option if it something we want.

--
Giulio
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Thanks,
pq
Daniel Stone
2014-08-19 11:50:55 UTC
Hi,
Post by Pekka Paalanen
On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 14:57:37 +0300
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-December/012589.html
This one looks pretty simple, and I can confirm the problem with
CapsLock, so yes, I'd like to take this. Could you rebase it?
This is a good start, yes. It's either that or go through the keymap state
trying to work out the modifier state to accompany the LEDs, which is
doable but a bit fiddly.
Post by Pekka Paalanen
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-December/012590.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2013-December/012591.html
Of these two, the first needs the second to be used at all, right? The
follow-up comment is true, I would not want NumLock be on by default on
my laptop, so I think this needs more work, like you have identified.
Yes, definitely not on by default please. As for the second patch, I'm a
little hesitant to add it to X11 in particular: why should we be telling
the host server what the modifier state for the entire session (which is
larger than the nested compositor) should be?

evdev requires LEDs to be driven because in that situation, we are the
lowest-level input consumer, and thus calculate our own state (i.e. call
xkb_state_update_key). In nested environments (compositor-{x11,wayland}),
we never calculate our own state, but receive the state from the host
display server. If the host display server isn't keeping the state sent to
its clients in sync with the state of its input devices, then that's a bug.

(tl;dr: NAK)

Cheers,
Daniel
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Daniel Stone
Hi,
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Giulio Camuffo
[...]
That makes sense, and I don't remember why i wrote that
"x11_compositor_led_update()" honestly.
I'll reply with a patch just adding the weston_keyboard_set_leds API,
without the X11 code.

--
Giulio
Post by Daniel Stone
(tl;dr: NAK)
Cheers,
Daniel
Boyan Ding
2014-08-18 12:55:52 UTC
Hi,
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Hi all,
in the release announcement of 1.5.0[1] it was said that the alpha
release towards 1.6 should come out mid-August. That time is now, so
how about we target Friday, Aug 22nd (European time)?
[...]
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Also, it was said that 1.5.1 should have come out in "a few weeks" and
it has been 3 months now. I will try and check the patches already in
'master' of both Wayland and Weston and pick them to the 1.5 branches,
but if you know of patches that should be in stable, especially ones
without review or not in 'master', let me know and I try do something.
My selection, especially for Wayland, will probably be very
conservative, though, as my priority is 1.6.
There are two patches for xwayland part in weston that has stood for
quite a while:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-July/015885.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-July/015886.html
with the first one being a little feature and the second one
a simple bugfix.

Also another patch that doesn't got reviewed but quite important:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-August/016307.html
It should follow c4902124 and 9c5aedff in master (and also in 1.5
branch) but I left that out then.

Thanks for all the efforts.

Regards,
Boyan Ding
Pekka Paalanen
2014-08-19 13:59:53 UTC
On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 20:55:52 +0800
Post by Boyan Ding
Hi,
Post by Pekka Paalanen
[...]
All three adressed, I think.

Feel free to poke me again when I start asking about what I forgot from
the stable branches. I'd like to let things live a bit in master, if at
all possible.

Thanks,
pq
Bill Spitzak
2014-08-18 16:55:15 UTC
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Obviously a stable first version of xdg_shell would be great to see in
1.6, but we shall see if we can beat it into shape in time. When I
reviewed the XML spec not long ago, it was close but not ready in my
opinion.
When xdg_shell does stabilize, we will move xdg_shell.xml into Wayland
repository and it will be installed,
I know I am being a pain in the ass about this, but I don't think
xdg_shell can be considered stabilized until there is an active request
the client *must* do to raise a surface in response to a mouse click. If
the current api is "stable" then in the future a request is going to
have to be added to disable automatic raise. This will result in three
apis to the default shell (wl_shell, xdg_shell with auto-raise, and
xdg_shell without auto-raise), as well as adding a request that is
obviously a back-compatibility hack and that all toolkits will just have
to do immediately after creating each xdg_shell.
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Should we make libinput the default for 1.6, so that in 1.7 we can
remove the old input code, or is libinput API still too much in flux?
Changes in the libinput api don't sound like they would be a problem,
because both weston and libinput are updated at the same time. I suppose
if somebody writes another compositor they may be bothered by libinput
changing but that is already true.
Jasper St. Pierre
2014-08-18 17:02:58 UTC
Post by Pekka Paalanen
[...]
I will be completely honest here. I don't give a shit about apps
controlling raise-on-click behavior. This is not a problem I care to solve.
WM policy dictates whether the window should raise on click, much like it
always has under X11. Nothing in the xdg-shell protocol says that when
clicking on a surface, it is raised above other surfaces.

That said, it is entirely possible to add a future request which can
disable the WM "raise on click" behavior in the future, going to an
explicit raise mode if you want, for the two clients that will use such a
feature. It will not be three separate APIs, it will be an additional mode
to the existing API. It will not be a big burden on my part to implement in
the compositor. I do not want to burden the rest of the apps that do not
care. I am not sure how this interacts with focus-follows-mouse and other
sorts of stacking order, but a compositor can just pick a sane policy and
live with it, I guess.

Post by Pekka Paalanen
[...]
I don't think it'll change much and Jonas and I have been talking about
declaring it stable soon anyway. I've got two more changes that are somewhat
urgent, both would be additive.

So yes, I think switching to libinput by default would be good.

Cheers,
Peter
Daniel Stone
2014-08-19 11:47:23 UTC
Hi,
Post by Peter Hutterer
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Should we make libinput the default for 1.6, so that in 1.7 we can
remove the old input code, or is libinput API still too much in flux?
I don't think it'll change much and Jonas and I have been talking about
declaring it stable soon anyway. I've got two more changes that are somewhat
urgent, both would be additive.
So yes, I think switching to libinput by default would be good.
+1 from me. Even if it does still have problems, it's a damn sight better
than what came before it, and I'd like to bin the latter as soon as
possible. So if we can agree a sensible libinput release for dependencies,
we should absolutely do this.

Cheers,
Daniel
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
in the release announcement of 1.5.0[1] it was said that the alpha
release
towards 1.6 should come out mid-August. That time is now, so how about
we
target Friday, Aug 22nd (European time)?
I know the review process has been lagging behind badly, and we
probably won't
see e.g. IVI-shell merged for 1.6, but I try to do what I can. What
major
features have been forgotten on the mailing list unmerged, that you
would
like to see included in 1.6?
[ntanibata] Hi pq,
Thank you for notification. Patches of ivi-shell were improved with your
comment and the latest patch set is sent to the mailing list.
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-June/015616.htm
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-July/015968.htm
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-July/015969.htm
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-July/015970.htm
I will try to verify them on

Trankyo, Manuel, provides them in his github for trial as well:
https://github.com/Tarnyko/weston-ivi-shell
These ones are reviewed in upstream branch of TIZEN gerrit and verified.
This would be good opportunity to merge them to 1.6.
I am also working enabling ivi-shell support with efl and Qt, getting
help with Manuel and his colleges.

BR,
Nobuhiko Tanibata
Pekka Paalanen
2014-08-19 08:36:21 UTC
On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 16:38:42 +0900
[...]
Thanks for keeping up. For the record, I am deliberately keeping your
IVI-shell comments and patches marked in my inbox with the hope that
one day I get back to it. :-)

I think there are still some things that need fixing, but my review has
to wait as I need to prioritize. Sorry.

Thanks,
pq
Eoff, Ullysses A
2014-08-19 16:36:19 UTC
2014-08-20 09:49:02 UTC
On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 16:36:19 +0000
[...]
Hi Artie,

glad to hear, sounds good. :-)

Yes, I will try to do things in the same schedule as always, having at
least one week between steps. Maybe alpha phase could be two weeks long?

Thanks,
pq
Eoff, Ullysses A
2014-08-20 12:23:35 UTC
[...]
Oh yes, alpha has been two weeks in the past... I forgot. Even my personal
notes about the 1.6 release cycle dates indicate that ;). Two weeks for
alpha is perfect!

Thanks,
U. Artie