Weston
Nikola Popovic
2016-10-26 14:10:46 UTC
Greetings.

I have installed yocto on my board. Im planing to run weston just after
boot finish and to run chromium inside weston. Is it possible to write
some script or something in weston.ini to run chromium inside weston
without my interaction.

Tnx!
--
Nikola Popovic
Software Engineer

RT-RK LLC
Narodnog fronta 23a
21000 Novi Sad
Serbia
www.rt-rk.com
Andrea Giammarchi
2016-11-10 09:44:58 UTC
It looks like you want something like benja ( https://benja.io/ ) which is
Weston + Electron based.

It uses a service:
https://github.com/WebReflection/benja/blob/gh-pages/os/sh/weston-compositor.service
You can enable it via `systemctl enable weston-compositor`

You also need to put
```
[shell]
client=/usr/bin/chromium
```
or the application you want to use instead of the default desktop/shell
inside the `~/.config/weston.ini` file, and this can be also a bash file
that launches chrome in fullscreen or with specific parameters.

You can test that everything works as expected simply using
`/usr/bin/weston-terminal` as client to find yourself within the shell (or
you can just use Benja to develop your portable app)

Best Regards
Pekka Paalanen
2016-11-10 10:57:39 UTC
On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 09:44:58 +0000
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
It looks like you want something like benja ( https://benja.io/ ) which is
Weston + Electron based.
https://github.com/WebReflection/benja/blob/gh-pages/os/sh/weston-compositor.service
You can enable it via `systemctl enable weston-compositor`
Hi,

why is it using weston-launch when you have systemd?
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You also need to put
```
[shell]
client=/usr/bin/chromium
```
or the application you want to use instead of the default desktop/shell
inside the `~/.config/weston.ini` file, and this can be also a bash file
that launches chrome in fullscreen or with specific parameters.
No, that does not fully work, unless you have modified chromium to also
take care of weston-desktop-shell's responsibilities.

weston-desktop-shell does not only do the wallpaper and panel, it also
provides the lock screen and pointer cursors for grabs and unresponsive
apps, plus more. See weston-desktop-shell.xml in Weston repository.

It may appear to work at first, but you will miss the corner cases.

Doing that also gives the app privileges it would not have otherwise
(i.e. bind to and use weston_desktop_shell interface).

Thanks,
pq
Andrea Giammarchi
2016-11-10 14:48:53 UTC
Post by Pekka Paalanen
why is it using weston-launch when you have systemd?
I am not sure I understand; that file is a service that's enable via
systemctl and it launches weston once the graphic is ready, right?

How else would you start weston on boot? Is there already a weston service
I am missing? That might simplify things for me.
Post by Pekka Paalanen
No, that does not fully work
FWICT benja works already pretty well and for a kiosk like system I think
the following is enough, or at least it is enough for benja use case ...
isn't it? Am I missing some configuration?

```
[core]
idle-time=0
modules=xwayland.so

[shell]
client=/usr/bin/app
animation=none
close-animation=none
startup-animation=none
locking=false
```
Post by Pekka Paalanen
It may appear to work at first, but you will miss the corner cases.
can you please indicate some of these corner cases?

Thank you.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
It looks like you want something like benja ( https://benja.io/ ) which
is
Weston + Electron based.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You can enable it via `systemctl enable weston-compositor`
Hi,
why is it using weston-launch when you have systemd?
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You also need to put
```
[shell]
client=/usr/bin/chromium
```
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
you can just use Benja to develop your portable app)
Best Regards
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
script or something in weston.ini to run chromium inside weston
without my
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
interaction.
Tnx!
--
Nikola Popovic
Software Engineer
Pekka Paalanen
2016-11-11 09:47:39 UTC
On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 14:48:53 +0000
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
why is it using weston-launch when you have systemd?
I am not sure I understand; that file is a service that's enable via
systemctl and it launches weston once the graphic is ready, right?
How else would you start weston on boot? Is there already a weston service
I am missing? That might simplify things for me.
Hi,

you should be starting weston, not weston-launch, when you have a
proper logind. weston-launch is for users who do not have logind
service.

weston-launch does support cases where logind exists, in which case it
remains unused - an extra setuid-root process with no purpose.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
No, that does not fully work
FWICT benja works already pretty well and for a kiosk like system I think
the following is enough, or at least it is enough for benja use case ...
isn't it? Am I missing some configuration?
```
[core]
idle-time=0
modules=xwayland.so
[shell]
client=/usr/bin/app
This is really not meant to be used like you use it. The shell client
is a special client, it is not the place to plug in random applications
for autolaunch.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
animation=none
close-animation=none
startup-animation=none
locking=false
```
Post by Pekka Paalanen
It may appear to work at first, but you will miss the corner cases.
can you please indicate some of these corner cases?
I listed them already.

E.g. if you have a floating window, and you want to resize it by
dragging a pointer, the cursor is left as what the app last set it,
rather than the cursor the compositor would pick.

You cannot have screen locking.

Indications for frozen app windows is missing.

The compositor start-up will take long, because it needs to time out
before fading in since the shell client is not signalling ready. In the
future there might be more things than just fade-in that wait for the
read-signal.

If your app ever goes non-fullscreen, you will see garbage outside the
app window.

You possibly see garbage or glitches during startup if you disable the
fade-in animation.

Maybe mod+tab shows wrong blending as there is no wallpaper.

Those are just what came to mind off-hand, there's possibly more.

So yeah, it probably works for you for now, if you don't pay attention
to details and nothing in apps ever fails. I'd call that fragile.

Thanks
pq
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
It looks like you want something like benja ( https://benja.io/ ) which
is
Weston + Electron based.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You can enable it via `systemctl enable weston-compositor`
Hi,
why is it using weston-launch when you have systemd?
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You also need to put
```
[shell]
client=/usr/bin/chromium
```
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
script or something in weston.ini to run chromium inside weston
without my
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
interaction.
Tnx!
--
Nikola Popovic
Software Engineer
Andrea Giammarchi
2016-11-11 10:18:04 UTC
Thanks for your answer.
you should be starting weston, not weston-launch, when you have a proper
logind. weston-launch is for users who do not have logind service.

I think weston-launch does more than just weston, in some case weston
wasn't able to start full-screen but I might give it another try with just
weston on that very same service, unless there is a better way (for which
I'd love an example)
This is really not meant to be used like you use it. The shell client is
a special client, it is not the place to plug in random applications for
autolaunch.

AFAIK Weston is a compositor but it does not provide a way to auto launch
applications if not through the shell.
What you see there is what Tizen does (or used to do) together with every
other Kiosk based on Weston.

Is there any other way to launch a full screen-kiosk app if not through
shell?
E.g. if you have a floating window, and you want to resize it by dragging
a pointer, the cursor is left as what the app last set it, rather than the
cursor the compositor would pick.

Benja is a Web Kiosk, has no floating window, just evnetually Gtk modals
and these show up fine.
You cannot have screen locking.
I've posted my configuration which disables screen locking, not an issue.
Indications for frozen app windows is missing.
if the browser freeze there's nothing else Benja can do if not a browser
reset
The compositor start-up will take long, because it needs to time out before
fading in since the shell client is not signalling ready. In the future
there might be more things than just fade-in that wait for the read-signal.

the fade and animations are disabled, as you can see from the config so not
an issue.
If your app ever goes non-fullscreen, you will see garbage outside the app
window.

it never does that. It's an always full screen Web Kiosk with disabled
resize.
You possibly see garbage or glitches during startup if you disable the fade-in
animation.

I don't, like I've said Benja works already. It has been out for months now.
Maybe mod+tab shows wrong blending as there is no wallpaper.
I don't want wallpaper, or at least not a system one, it's a Web Kiosk
system.
Those are just what came to mind off-hand, there's possibly more.
If you think there are more specific for Benja use case please let me know
'cause so far ....
So yeah, it probably works for you for now, if you don't pay attention to
details and nothing in apps ever fails. I'd call that fragile.

... I've paid attention already to these details and configured it to *not*
be fragile. (it's been on for weaks now on my raspi2)

Best Regards.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
No, that does not fully work
FWICT benja works already pretty well and for a kiosk like system I think
the following is enough, or at least it is enough for benja use case ...
isn't it? Am I missing some configuration?
```
[core]
idle-time=0
modules=xwayland.so
[shell]
client=/usr/bin/app
This is really not meant to be used like you use it. The shell client
is a special client, it is not the place to plug in random applications
for autolaunch.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
animation=none
close-animation=none
startup-animation=none
locking=false
```
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
It looks like you want something like benja ( https://benja.io/ )
which
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
is
Weston + Electron based.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You can enable it via `systemctl enable weston-compositor`
Hi,
why is it using weston-launch when you have systemd?
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You also need to put
```
[shell]
client=/usr/bin/chromium
```
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You can test that everything works as expected simply using
`/usr/bin/weston-terminal` as client to find yourself within the
shell
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
(or
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
boot finish and to run chromium inside weston. Is it possible to
write
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
some
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
script or something in weston.ini to run chromium inside weston
without my
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
interaction.
Tnx!
--
Nikola Popovic
Software Engineer
Giulio Camuffo
2016-11-11 11:08:11 UTC
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Thanks for your answer.
[...]
It may work without any glitch for you, but that doesn't change the
fact that you're misusing the feature, and a weston update could break
it anytime.

Cheers,
Giulio
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
No, that does not fully work
FWICT benja works already pretty well and for a kiosk like system I think
the following is enough, or at least it is enough for benja use case ...
isn't it? Am I missing some configuration?
```
[core]
idle-time=0
modules=xwayland.so
[shell]
client=/usr/bin/app
This is really not meant to be used like you use it. The shell client
is a special client, it is not the place to plug in random applications
for autolaunch.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
animation=none
close-animation=none
startup-animation=none
locking=false
```
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
It looks like you want something like benja ( https://benja.io/ ) which
is
Weston + Electron based.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You can enable it via `systemctl enable weston-compositor`
Hi,
why is it using weston-launch when you have systemd?
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You also need to put
```
[shell]
client=/usr/bin/chromium
```
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
script or something in weston.ini to run chromium inside weston
without my
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
interaction.
Tnx!
--
Nikola Popovic
Software Engineer
Pekka Paalanen
2016-11-11 11:19:51 UTC
On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 10:18:04 +0000
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Thanks for your answer.
you should be starting weston, not weston-launch, when you have a proper
logind. weston-launch is for users who do not have logind service.
I think weston-launch does more than just weston, in some case weston
wasn't able to start full-screen but I might give it another try with just
weston on that very same service, unless there is a better way (for which
I'd love an example)
Start-up problems may have well been because your abuse of the shell
client parameter.

There is https://phabricator.freedesktop.org/T63 with some hints.

One key point I believe is that Weston expects the VT to be already
active where it will be started on. That might use some fixing in
Weston, but without breaking setups that have no VTs.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
This is really not meant to be used like you use it. The shell client is
a special client, it is not the place to plug in random applications for
autolaunch.
AFAIK Weston is a compositor but it does not provide a way to auto launch
applications if not through the shell.
Correct, patches to add autolaunch feature were started but never finished:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2014-October/017971.html
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
What you see there is what Tizen does (or used to do) together with every
other Kiosk based on Weston.
Is there any other way to launch a full screen-kiosk app if not through
shell?
Perhaps with a systemd unit?

Conceptually, both Weston and the app should be launched from a systemd
user session, because Weston is supposed to run in a valid session. I
just don't know how to do auto-login with systemd, and the other issue
is the VT switching.

Weston also supports systemd socket activation and watchdog, if you
load Weston's systemd plugin. The plugin also provides start-up
notification so that systemd won't start dependent services too early
AFAIU.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
E.g. if you have a floating window, and you want to resize it by dragging
a pointer, the cursor is left as what the app last set it, rather than the
cursor the compositor would pick.
Benja is a Web Kiosk, has no floating window, just evnetually Gtk modals
and these show up fine.
You cannot have screen locking.
I've posted my configuration which disables screen locking, not an issue.
Indications for frozen app windows is missing.
if the browser freeze there's nothing else Benja can do if not a browser
reset
Indications for the user; For frozen windows, weston is intended to
show a busy cursor. In your case, the cursor will be left what ever it
happened to be, the browser window is frozen, and no other indication
is given to the user. The cursor will stil move.

If your browser was managed by systemd, you could implement the systemd
watchdog in the browser process and have systemd restart the browser if
it hangs.

Weston also detects frozen windows, but does not implement an auto-kill
or restart.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
The compositor start-up will take long, because it needs to time out before
fading in since the shell client is not signalling ready. In the future
there might be more things than just fade-in that wait for the read-signal.
the fade and animations are disabled, as you can see from the config so not
an issue.
Until we add the next feature that requires the ready-signal before
weston becomes usable.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
If your app ever goes non-fullscreen, you will see garbage outside the app
window.
it never does that. It's an always full screen Web Kiosk with disabled
resize.
You possibly see garbage or glitches during startup if you disable the fade-in
animation.
I don't, like I've said Benja works already. It has been out for months now.
Maybe mod+tab shows wrong blending as there is no wallpaper.
I don't want wallpaper, or at least not a system one, it's a Web Kiosk
system.
You missed the point. Mod+tab makes windows temporarily
semi-transparent. That effect will probably screw up if there is no
opaque surface at the bottom of the scenegraph (the wallpaper).

Users can also use the mouse and keyboard to make windows
semi-transparent.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Those are just what came to mind off-hand, there's possibly more.
If you think there are more specific for Benja use case please let me know
'cause so far ....
So yeah, it probably works for you for now, if you don't pay attention to
details and nothing in apps ever fails. I'd call that fragile.
... I've paid attention already to these details and configured it to *not*
be fragile. (it's been on for weaks now on my raspi2)
That's your opinion. This is mine. You are abusing a feature of weston
in a way it was never meant to be used, and is not intended to keep on
working. It's your choice, at least now you know there might be issues.

In the future the special shell client will likely gain more
responsibilities. Whether that will break your use case or not remains
to be seen.

Thanks,
pq
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
No, that does not fully work
FWICT benja works already pretty well and for a kiosk like system I think
the following is enough, or at least it is enough for benja use case ...
isn't it? Am I missing some configuration?
```
[core]
idle-time=0
modules=xwayland.so
[shell]
client=/usr/bin/app
This is really not meant to be used like you use it. The shell client
is a special client, it is not the place to plug in random applications
for autolaunch.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
animation=none
close-animation=none
startup-animation=none
locking=false
```
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
It looks like you want something like benja ( https://benja.io/ )
which
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
is
Weston + Electron based.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You can enable it via `systemctl enable weston-compositor`
Hi,
why is it using weston-launch when you have systemd?
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You also need to put
```
[shell]
client=/usr/bin/chromium
```
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You can test that everything works as expected simply using
`/usr/bin/weston-terminal` as client to find yourself within the
shell
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
(or
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
boot finish and to run chromium inside weston. Is it possible to
write
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
some
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
script or something in weston.ini to run chromium inside weston
without my
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
interaction.
Tnx!
--
Nikola Popovic
Software Engineer
Andrea Giammarchi
2016-11-11 11:32:03 UTC
pq I don't want to abuse anything but like you confirmed shell is the only
usable option I have now.

Of curse I'll update the configuration as soon as autolaunch app is
available but if there are no other options what should I do? 'cause
falling back to X11 is what I do already for platforms that don't run well
on wayland due missing OS drivers.

I hope I don't have to force every device to run on X11 via basic
`.xinitrc` and `startx` mechanism so I'll be asking help and hints once
it's possible to do what I'm doing already.

It's not "my choice" or "my opinion", it's right now the only way to
achieve what I wanted to achieve.
Weston's systemd plugin. The plugin also provides start-up notification
so that systemd won't start dependent services too early AFAIU.

I didn't know about this plugin. Any link that shows how to install and
configure it?
I just don't know how to do auto-login with systemd
What I do is basically this:
https://github.com/WebReflection/benja/blob/gh-pages/os/sh/install-common#L88

ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty -nia benja %I $TERM

in /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/***@tty1.service

change benja with your username and you'll have automatic login.

To make weston launch after the systemd service I've linked at my first
reply:
https://github.com/WebReflection/benja/blob/gh-pages/os/sh/weston-compositor.service

This worked so far in every platform compatible with weston.

Best Regards
On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 10:18:04 +0000
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Thanks for your answer.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Those are just what came to mind off-hand, there's possibly more.
If you think there are more specific for Benja use case please let me
know
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
'cause so far ....
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
isn't it? Am I missing some configuration?
```
[core]
idle-time=0
modules=xwayland.so
[shell]
client=/usr/bin/app
This is really not meant to be used like you use it. The shell client
is a special client, it is not the place to plug in random applications
for autolaunch.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
animation=none
close-animation=none
startup-animation=none
locking=false
```
Post by Pekka Paalanen
[...]
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
It looks like you want something like benja ( https://benja.io/
)
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
which
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
is
Weston + Electron based.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You can enable it via `systemctl enable weston-compositor`
Hi,
why is it using weston-launch when you have systemd?
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You also need to put
```
[shell]
client=/usr/bin/chromium
```
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
inside the `~/.config/weston.ini` file, and this can be also a
bash
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
file
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You can test that everything works as expected simply using
`/usr/bin/weston-terminal` as client to find yourself within the
shell
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
(or
Post by Nikola Popovic
Greetings.
I have installed yocto on my board. Im planing to run weston
just
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
after
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
boot finish and to run chromium inside weston. Is it possible
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
write
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
some
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
script or something in weston.ini to run chromium inside weston
without my
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
interaction.
Tnx!
--
Nikola Popovic
Software Engineer
Ucan, Emre (ADITG/SW1)
2016-11-11 11:43:59 UTC
Hi,

To compile systemd notify plugin: --enable-systemd-notify

To start weston with the plugin: /usr/bin/weston --tty=1 --modules=systemd-notify.so

The systemd-notify plugin will send a notification when weston startup is finished.

You can use this notification to synchronize your application with weston.

Best regards

Emre Ucan
Software Group I (ADITG/SW1)

Tel. +49 5121 49 6937
October/017971.html <https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-
Post by Pekka Paalanen
So yeah, it probably works for you for now, if you don't pay
attention to
details and nothing in apps ever fails. I'd call that fragile.
... I've paid attention already to these details and configured it to
*not*
be fragile. (it's been on for weaks now on my raspi2)
That's your opinion. This is mine. You are abusing a feature of weston
in a way it was never meant to be used, and is not intended to keep on
working. It's your choice, at least now you know there might be issues.
In the future the special shell client will likely gain more
responsibilities. Whether that will break your use case or not remains
to be seen.
Thanks,
pq
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
How else would you start weston on boot? Is there already a
weston
Post by Pekka Paalanen
service
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
isn't it? Am I missing some configuration?
```
[core]
idle-time=0
modules=xwayland.so
[shell]
client=/usr/bin/app
This is really not meant to be used like you use it. The shell client
is a special client, it is not the place to plug in random applications
for autolaunch.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
animation=none
close-animation=none
startup-animation=none
locking=false
```
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
It looks like you want something like benja (
https://benja.io/ )
Post by Pekka Paalanen
which
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
is
Weston + Electron based.
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You can enable it via `systemctl enable weston-compositor`
Hi,
why is it using weston-launch when you have systemd?
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You also need to put
```
[shell]
client=/usr/bin/chromium
```
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
inside the `~/.config/weston.ini` file, and this can be also a
bash
Post by Pekka Paalanen
file
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You can test that everything works as expected simply using
`/usr/bin/weston-terminal` as client to find yourself within
the
Post by Pekka Paalanen
shell
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
(or
Post by Nikola Popovic
Greetings.
I have installed yocto on my board. Im planing to run
weston just
Post by Pekka Paalanen
after
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
boot finish and to run chromium inside weston. Is it
possible to
Post by Pekka Paalanen
write
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
some
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
script or something in weston.ini to run chromium inside
weston
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
without my
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
interaction.
Tnx!
--
Nikola Popovic
Software Engineer
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
RT-RK LLC
Narodnog fronta 23a
21000 Novi Sad
Serbia
www.rt-rk.com
Andrea Giammarchi
2016-11-11 12:06:36 UTC
Thank you. I've asked in the ArchLinux forum to build weston with such
module since apparently is not currently supported.

If interested, this is the post:

Best Regards

Post by Pekka Paalanen
I just don't know how to do auto-login with systemd
What I do is basically this: https://github.com/
WebReflection/benja/blob/gh-
pages/os/sh/install-common#L88
ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty -nia benja %I $TERM
change benja with your username and you'll have automatic login.
To make weston launch after the systemd service I've linked at my first
https://github.com/WebReflection/benja/blob/gh-pages/os/sh/weston-
compositor.service
This worked so far in every platform compatible with weston.
Best Regards
On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 10:18:04 +0000
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Thanks for your answer.
Post by Pekka Paalanen
cursor the compositor would pick.
Benja is a Web Kiosk, has no floating window, just evnetually Gtk
modals
Post by Pekka Paalanen
and these show up fine.
Post by Pekka Paalanen
window.
it never does that. It's an always full screen Web Kiosk with
disabled
Post by Pekka Paalanen
resize.
Post by Pekka Paalanen
If you think there are more specific for Benja use case please
let
me know
Post by Pekka Paalanen
'cause so far ....
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
How else would you start weston on boot? Is there already a
weston
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
service
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
is a special client, it is not the place to plug in random
applications
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
for autolaunch.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
animation=none
close-animation=none
startup-animation=none
locking=false
```
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
to details and nothing in apps ever fails. I'd call that
fragile.
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Thanks
pq
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
It looks like you want something like benja (
https://benja.io/ )
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
which
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
is
Weston + Electron based.
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Hi,
why is it using weston-launch when you have systemd?
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
You also need to put
```
[shell]
client=/usr/bin/chromium
```
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
inside the `~/.config/weston.ini` file, and this can be
also a
bash
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
file
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
`/usr/bin/weston-terminal` as client to find yourself
within
the
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
shell
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
(or
Post by Nikola Popovic
Greetings.
I have installed yocto on my board. Im planing to run
weston just
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
after
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
boot finish and to run chromium inside weston. Is it
possible to
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
write
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
some
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
script or something in weston.ini to run chromium
inside
weston
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
without my
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
interaction.
Tnx!
--
Nikola Popovic
Software Engineer
Tel: +381 21 4801 1304
<tel:%2B381%2021%204801%201304>
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Pekka Paalanen
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
Post by Nikola Popovic
RT-RK LLC
Narodnog fronta 23a
21000 Novi Sad
Serbia
www.rt-rk.com
mailman/listinfo/wayland-
devel <https://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/wayland-devel>
Pekka Paalanen
2016-11-11 12:52:17 UTC
On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 11:32:03 +0000
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
pq I don't want to abuse anything but like you confirmed shell is the only
usable option I have now.
Of curse I'll update the configuration as soon as autolaunch app is
available but if there are no other options what should I do? 'cause
falling back to X11 is what I do already for platforms that don't run well
on wayland due missing OS drivers.
I hope I don't have to force every device to run on X11 via basic
`.xinitrc` and `startx` mechanism so I'll be asking help and hints once
it's possible to do what I'm doing already.
It's not "my choice" or "my opinion", it's right now the only way to
achieve what I wanted to achieve.
Have you tried starting the browser with systemd?

It would be very nice if that worked. You can have systemd restart it
if it crashes etc.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
I just don't know how to do auto-login with systemd
https://github.com/WebReflection/benja/blob/gh-pages/os/sh/install-common#L88
ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty -nia benja %I $TERM
change benja with your username and you'll have automatic login.
Sounds nice. OTOH, now I've been told that you don't actually need
that, if you configure the systemd system units properly.
Post by Andrea Giammarchi
To make weston launch after the systemd service I've linked at my first
https://github.com/WebReflection/benja/blob/gh-pages/os/sh/weston-compositor.service
It would be very interesting to hear if that worked in a systemd user
unit. AFAICT, what you have is a system unit.

So, there are several ways to go about it. Have everything as system
units that set up the session, have your auto-login system unit and
use user units for weston and browser, or something else.

systemd has been designed to care for processes, so implementing
similar features in every compositor is a bit odd.

Thanks,
pq