How to check if OpenGL is supported?
Campbell Barton
2013-09-10 04:06:55 UTC
Hi, I'm interested to get Blender (OpenGL 3d graphics application)
running with wayland/weston.

However I cant tell if my configuration can even run simple OpenGL
applications (the more recent weston for arch-linux 1.2.2 has no
"weston-gears").

Whats a good way to see if loading opengl/egl applications is supported?

Some more info in case it helps.
----

A while back I managed to run weston but no opengl applications would
work (weston-gears for example didn't start but weston-smoke did, It
gave some error about not being able to setup EGL).
I spent some time trying to get this running but I think it simply
wasn't supported by proprietary-nvidia & mesa configuration.

More recently I tried again with a newer weston but now I cant find
weston-gears so not sure how to test.

There is a git repo that Wander Costa has been working on, but its
crashing on my system (opengl context fails to initialize).
https://github.com/walac/blender-wayland

So I want to know if this is a bug in the code or just a limitation
with my configuration.
- Campbell
Alexander Preisinger
2013-09-10 05:02:55 UTC

You could use pkg-config to check for wayland-egl and egl.

Best Regards,

Alexander Preisinger

2013/9/10 Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>
Post by Campbell Barton
[...]
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 14:06:55 +1000
Post by Campbell Barton
[...]
Hi,

if you are still on proprietary Nvidia GeForce drivers, then Wayland GL
applications have no chances of working at all.

The basic test for openGL support (well, GLES 2.0 really, but it
doesn't matter which flavour of GL you test) is the (weston-)simple-egl
program from the Weston repository.

Thanks,
pq
Campbell Barton
2013-09-10 06:13:32 UTC
Post by Campbell Barton
[...]
Strange, weston-simple-egl works,

It prints output about EGL, linked.
http://www.pasteall.org/45482

But I'm not sure if this is using similar enough features to Blender
that the OpenGL context is comparable (Blender uses full OpenGL but
has an EGL option to support opening a window for wayland support).
- Campbell
Pekka Paalanen
2013-09-10 06:45:02 UTC
Post by Campbell Barton
[...]
Your paste of the Weston log says it is using a software GL
implementation of Mesa: llvmpipe. IOW, that is not using your GPU.

I should have been more accurate: of course software GL implementations
have a chance of working, and it's nice to see it actually does work at
least that much. :-)

But I assume software GL was not what you were looking for, right?

Thanks,
pq
Campbell Barton
2013-09-10 06:49:27 UTC
Post by Campbell Barton
[...]
Software OpenGL is fine if I can use it to get Blender window up and
running in weston.
I've used Blender with mesa's 'swrast' before on X11 and it runs fine
as long as GLSL isnt used,
so I know this works - but not sure if llvmpipe does. (it should, we
only require OpenGL 1.4x).
- Campbell
Pekka Paalanen
2013-09-10 06:58:03 UTC
On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 16:49:27 +1000
Post by Campbell Barton
Post by Pekka Paalanen
On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 16:13:32 +1000
Post by Campbell Barton
[...]
Oh, ok. The next thing coming to my mind is that you somehow managed to
get libGLESv2.so and libEGL.so from Mesa, but libGL.so from the Nvidia
proprietary package. That would cause simple-egl and Weston to work,
but fail all big GL apps on Wayland.

Maybe check that? You'd need libGL.so (and perhaps others?) from Mesa
to be able to run big GL apps with software GL on Wayland.

Thanks,
pq
Campbell Barton
2013-09-10 09:57:32 UTC
Post by Campbell Barton
[...]
Yes, libGL.so, libGL.so.1 are from NVIDIA OpenGL Shared Library 325.15

This is why I'm interested to know are there any good test
applications that use full OpenGL + weston so I can validate its
working.
- Campbell
Pekka Paalanen
2013-09-10 10:24:07 UTC
Post by Campbell Barton
Software OpenGL is fine if I can use it to get Blender window up
and running in weston.
I've used Blender with mesa's 'swrast' before on X11 and it runs
fine as long as GLSL isnt used,
so I know this works - but not sure if llvmpipe does. (it should,
we only require OpenGL 1.4x).
Oh, ok. The next thing coming to my mind is that you somehow
managed to get libGLESv2.so and libEGL.so from Mesa, but libGL.so
from the Nvidia proprietary package. That would cause simple-egl
and Weston to work, but fail all big GL apps on Wayland.
Maybe check that? You'd need libGL.so (and perhaps others?) from
Mesa to be able to run big GL apps with software GL on Wayland.
Thanks,
pq
Yes, libGL.so, libGL.so.1 are from NVIDIA OpenGL Shared Library
325.15
If those are from NVIDIA, full OpenGL *cannot* work on Wayland.
Post by Campbell Barton
This is why I'm interested to know are there any good test
applications that use full OpenGL + weston so I can validate its
working.
Hmm, fix libGL.so to come from Mesa, and just try Blender again?

Weston's screensaver app and gears are full OpenGL apps, but to try
them, you need Cairo with full-GL support. Nothing else comes to mind.
Some SDL apps maybe, with SDL's Wayland port?

Or you maybe you could convert simple-egl to a full GL app, or replace
its rendering with the stuff from glxgears? IOW, I'm not aware of any
simple test apps for full GL on Wayland (I do not consider dependency
to cairo-gl as "simple").

Thanks,
pq